Wednesday, December 14, 2011

On Blogging

On Blogging
Recently I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog.  A few days ago I decided to take the plunge and set one up.  Being honest, I'm still a bit intimidated by the whole notion of a blog.  I have always felt as though I have terribly important things to say.  Unfortunately, the rise of the internet has allowed millions of people who 'feel as though' they have important things to say to share them with the world.  I've never liked the idea of being but a face in the crowd, which, ultimately, is what most blogs turn out to be.  However, I know that I don't get nearly enough practice writing these days, so I believe that rocking out an occasional blog post will be good for me.  Thus, here I am.

Imaginary Eschatology
I don't intend for this blog to be terribly focused, but rather to be a chance to put together my thoughts on whatever is interesting to me at any given moment.  As a Ph.D. student studying theology, philosophy, and cultural theory, I have, for quite some time, had a great interest in the idea of eschatology.  For those uninitiated in this sort of language, eschatology is generally understood to be the study of 'last things'.  In Christian theology, far too often eschatology is focused on a predicted definitive event (see http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/01/harold-camping-apologizes-rapture-predictions_n_1069520.html or http://www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm).  However, in my academic work, and in my personal ponderings, I prefer to think of eschatology not as a definitive time, but as a goal toward which we strive.  I have always been in love with the conclusion of The Great Gatsby, "Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us.  It eluded us then, but that's no matter- tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... And then one fine morning-  So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."  Fitzgerald put into words far better than I could what I mean by 'imaginary eschatology'.  A study of 'the last things' cannot be separated from living in the present as influenced by the past. At the same time, the imagination is the best tool in our arsenal to create actual change.  A 'better' future cannot be created unless it is first imagined.  Imaginary eschatology, then, is nothing more than simply attempting to live well in the world.  Meaningful life is a risk, but it is a risk worth being taken.  

No comments:

Post a Comment